Welcome to Our Blog!

Our classroom blog was created as a place where we can meet online together to reflect on and explore ideas, share opinions, discuss various topics and also create! I am so excited to be a part of all the learning that is going to go on here and I hope you are, too! Now, what about the name of our blog? The Read Wheelbarrow was chosen as a "play on words" and refers to a very interesting poem (I think) by William Carlos Williams called The Red Wheelbarrow. It is the first of many, many poems we will read and discuss. With it our blogging adventure begins...so, happy blogging everyone!

Monday, November 21, 2011

An Interesting Rock Poem

What do you think about this poem...? Why is Flint more important than all the beautiful gem stones?

Flint
by Christina Rosetti

An emerald is as green as grass,
A ruby red as blood;
A sapphire shines as blue as heaven;
A flint lies in the mud.


A diamond is a brilliant stone,
To catch the world's desire;
An opal holds a fiery spark;
But a flint holds a fire.

11 comments:

  1. The poem is talking about how flint is importent to the for fire if we didnt have flint the world would be so dark and daul.Everyone would be sick and be tired.if we didnt have flint there would be no hot meels and no hot drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really know why flint is more importent, but I think it's because flint makes fire when you rub two of it together. I mean, humans need warmth and fire to cook, too. That's why I think fint is really importent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked it. You are talking about the main stones on your birthday it is called a birth stone. Flint it looks like it means a Iginous rocks. I thought it means Ignious rock beacuse Ignious rocks from by fire. I really liked this poem it was intresting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the flint is more important than all the other jemstone because it hold fire wich means that it can make fire and none of the other jemstones can make fire it might not be as pretty and as colourfull as all yhe other jemstones but atleast it can do something that at the other jemstons can make fire

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why but this poem I DO NOT GET! For some reason I think flint stone is an igneous rock. The reason why I think that is because in the poem it says "But a flint holds a fire." Do you know what my favourite gem stone is? Well it's a sapphire. The reason I like that gem stone is because it's the colour blue. I can't wait till I find out if a flint is an igneous rock or not!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flint rock is more important then the other
    rocks because when you rub the rock toether it
    mekes a fire.I think the poem is about gem stones
    and the colour thatthe gem look like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this poem it is very intresting? I like this poem becuse it remindes me of when we
    lerend about rocks and minaroles

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't get this peom.It's because I don't get the "Ruby" part where she says "A ruby red as blood".It sounds really creapy.At the same time it sounds cool.Also I like when she says "An emerald as green as grass".And the title sounds pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I really don't know why flint is more important than gems. But still I thoght it was cool. Did you know that my birth stone is a diamond and a bloodstone. In are family we wear gold sometimes silver.See you later for comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder why flint is so important.Is it because it could create fire?Is a flint a igneos rock?
    I really liked the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this poem is a great poem because it teaches you An emerald is as green as grass,
    A ruby red as blood;
    A sapphire shines as blue as heaven;
    A flint lies in the mud. A diamond is a brilliant stone,
    To catch the world's desire;
    An opal holds a fiery spark;
    But a flint holds a fire. I think that flint is more inportent because it can make fire and the others don't and with out flint you would not have warmth ore heat

    ReplyDelete